Wingssail Home Wingssail Images LogBookPages Map of our travels Index Email Fred & Judy

Saturday, February 21, 2004

February 22, 2004-Palau, Palau

wingssail image-fredrick roswold

After a few days in the town of Koror, we went for a cruise to Palau’s famous Rock Islands. Saving the northern Rock Islands for later, we sailed to the southern part, at the very end of the Palau Lagoon, where we found a place to anchor WINGS and then got into the dingy to go exploring.

WINGS had been in Palau for nearly a month, and this was our second trip into the Rock Islands. We were cruising this year from Australia to Hong Kong, and Palau was just one of the stops, but the beauty and isolation of cruising here was turning it into a highlight.

Around a corner, in a hidden nook, we found that the lowering tide had exposed an underwater cave in the side of the island. We carefully nosed our way in. It was wide enough for the dingy, barely high enough, but the water was plenty deep for our motor. We could see light ahead. It was a tunnel! We inched along in darkness, the sound of our motor echoed on the walls of the tunnel. Oyster shells hung from the ceiling and we ducked to avoid scraping our heads.

Soon we came out the other end, into a hidden, saltwater, lagoon. The jungle hung over our heads around the edges, and fish stirred the surface. White herons flapped from limb to limb in the trees, and we could hear other birds. We wondered who had been here last, and when, but of course there was no way of knowing. No one had left any signs that they had ever been here.

We motored out of the tunnel, and looked back. Was that real?

Around another corner we came upon a sand spit, also exposed by the low tide, white and curving perhaps a mile across the larger blue lagoon. We stopped the motor and beached the dingy on the edge of the sand spit and walked with bare feet out towards the end. The ocean waves had left ripples in the sand which we crushed with our feet. We saw some strange tracks in the sand and we followed them to a large sea shell. The shell was the house of a Hermit Crab. We picked it up and saw the crab shrink back inside his home. We placed it back upon the sand and walked further. At the end of the sand spit we waded into the water and we looked out to sea. In the distance the SE swell of the Pacific Ocean crashed on the reef, white and rolling. The other direction, an island, Emagong Island, was turning into a silhouette. The sky was filled with a variety of clouds and colors, as the sun got lower and the light began to fade

The next morning, with the outlook of a great day ahead, we decided to swim at one of Palau’s premier dive sites: “Big Drop Off”. This is where the shallow reef plunges into the Palau Trench, and divers come from all over the world to experience the rich sea life and coral here. Leaving WINGS safely anchored we took the dingy out to the reef. We had no problem finding “Big Drop Off”. It was where all the dive boats were congregating. Every day in Palau, the tour operators bring a several boat loads of divers and snorkelers out to “Big Drop Off”.

We stopped nearby and surveyed the scene. One tropical island to the West, another to the East, and to the South, nothing but the vast ocean. A swell rolled gently in. The sun shone. The sky was blue. We looked over the side. The water was gin clear and it was deep! We donned our fins and masks and rolled into warm clear water. Since the tide was beginning to run, we drifted with the dingy in tow. There were thousands of fish…and turtles…and sharks! They were all cruising down the wall below us. We saw some scuba divers angling down below us too. The sharks ignored everyone, for now.

We swam for an hour, then we pulled ourselves back into the dingy and motored over to the nearest island. It was pristine. Two herons perched nearby. We took some photos. Then a ranger came along in his boat.

“Can’t stay here.” he said, “ Restricted”. Even paradise has rules.

So we left, looking back at a perfect beach, empty except for two herons.

We saw John McCready’s Cal 48, ECLIPSE nearby; they’d brought a charter party out to dive at “Big Drop Off”,

Coming along side John greeted us warmly, “Our dive party just went in”, he said, “Come on aboard.”

Aboard ECLIPSE we looked over John’s charts and found some other promising spots. We discussed with John where we might be the next day. Then his wife, Charlie, asked us if we’d stay for lunch. She was fixing dumplings, which looked like pot stickers to us. Charlie is Manchurian, and a great cook of Chinese food, but we didn’t want to infringe on John’s charter party, plus, we wanted to get back and check on WINGS. We said, “No thank you, but it does look delicious.”

Charlie said, “Well, at least stay 10 minutes and I’ll send you home with some dumplings.”

We couldn’t say no to that.

Ten minutes later we were heading back to the Northeast in our dingy, portable GPS showing the way, with one zip loc bag of fresh hot pot stickers, and as a bonus, one zip loc bag with fresh Yellow Fin Tuna Sashimi. Lunch on WINGS, an hour later, with the pot stickers, sashimi, some Jasmine rice, wasabi sauce, soy sauce, and ice cold Philippine San Miguel beer, and us remembering a great morning of wonderful snorkeling, could not have been better.

That night the weather forecasts looked worrying. There was a tropical depression up North and we didn’t know which way it would go. In the morning we weighed the anchor and started looking for a safe haven. We found it at Mikado Cove.

Mikado Cove was a perfect hideaway. Completely landlocked and surrounded by high cliffs with jungles at their tops, the water inside was absolutely calm, clear, and deep. This was what we needed. We’d bumped the coral the previous day, trying to get into another “bullet proof” anchorage, and so we couldn’t stay there, but with the TD up north, we were still looking for some protection and some peace and quiet. We found it at Mikado. Birds dove and swooped between the cliffs inside and high above, others circled.

The wind did build that day. We watched the clouds sweep over us and saw the trees atop the cliffs swaying in the wind, but it did not come down to our level. Later the rain came and it grew from a mist to a downpour. We set up our water collection system and filled all of our tanks. After that we didn’t know what to do with all the water we had. We just let it run. During the night the wind grew stronger and gusts began to come over the hillside and down into our cove, but not enough to bother us. We were glad we were anchored in Mikado, not outside in some exposed place.

A couple of days later we motored back to Koror.

Palau cruising was turning out to be pretty good.

Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Palau
Click here to see a few photos we did manage to get in Palau



Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

NEXT Page (More) , or... GO BACK to Previous Page