Wingssail Home Wingssail Images LogBookPages Map of our travels Index Email Fred & Judy

Sunday, December 06, 2009

Dec 5, 2009-Sailing to Telaga

wingssail image-fredrick roswold
Kite reaching on the way home

It looked light to me when I stuck my head out the hatch on Saturday morning but outside of Rebak Marina we found a bucket of wind. The #2 jib was left in the bag on deck and we pulled the #4 out the hatch for the hoist. Even under this reduced sail the boat heeled right over and we started sailing fast on a close reach to the North, first Sherry then Judy steering, on our way to Telaga Harbor.

Soon the wind was up further and I saw that the #2, on the leeward side of the foredeck, was getting wet. I went forward to throw it below and got a face full of salt water for my trouble. Not wanting to get any wetter I dragged the sail up to weather and refolded it in the bag enough to toss it down the hatch. Boy were we steaming along by this point! It was real sailing for a change and it felt good.

Shortly after that a wave came on board along the leeward deck and washed the Avon a foot or so along the side where the next wave caught it and threatened to carry it away. In fact it was half way over the side and we’d have lost it for sure but for the rope by which it was tied to the jib track and by Judy’s fast action on the helm. She bore off immediately, or did as soon as I responded to her order to dump the main, and then I had a level deck to work on. Down the hatch too went the Avon.

Then the printer and some other gear fell off the computer shelf and caused quite a clatter from below and we had to go collect all of that off the cabin sole, now showing a big new dent, but once we were settled down and squared away we had a good sail the rest of the way to Telaga and arrived at the landing float at noon.

I have to say that Sherry handled the sailing well, steering for a while and she took her turn on the winches and halyards but when I tried to send her forward to hand the jib she drew the line and wouldn’t budge however she even did that on the return trip. Judy was magnificent! She hopped around the boat like the sailor she is and, with her knee pads on, turned to at every task with gusto and I love her for it. We both knew her back would pay the price the next day but it didn’t stop her.

After docking at Telaga our plan was to visit the Geo-Pak and ride the cable car to the top of the mountain behind Telaga and we were soon off on that excursion. The morning breeze had blown in some haze but we still enjoyed the view and cool air at the top of the mountain and hiked around until our legs wore out.

Coming home from Telaga the wind was lighter and we set the A-3 kite, had a nice reach, hit 8 knots when the wind piped up a bit and we were back in our slip at Rebak before dark.

So, all in all, it was a very good day.

Fred & Judy, SV Wings, Langkawi Thailand

Click here to see some more photos of the sailing and the cable car ride.

Labels: , , , ,


Post a Comment

<< Home

NEXT Page (More) , or... GO BACK to Previous Page